Most of my time was spend weeding. Some of the weeds and grass are easy to pull, but because the area was tilled I'm having to dig up thistle everywhere. Thistle can create multiple plants when the root is cut up. If you don't dig out all of the root you will never get rid of the thistle. I've had to pull up sections of the red mulch to weed under it. Some light gets through and causes the weeds to grow under it. I'm trying to decide if I should pull up the plastic and mulch with straw or keep it down and keep weeding underneath.
The picture above is of the Roma row.
Here are the other tomatoes. I'm trying the Florida Weave type trellis on them instead of staking.
The first tomato is forming!
One of the red amaranth was planted here at the plot, the other was planted at the home garden. Something is eating the leaves. I think maybe slugs. I've found them all over the plot.
I had big plans to use an old wooden ladder for my beans, then I went to look for it and remembered I thew it out when I moved (grrr!). So I used some branches that fell from our oak tree over the winter to build a tee pee. To the right of it is a butternut squash plant.
I found flea beetles on my eggplant tonight. I'm going to bring a row cover over there tomorrow to cover the plants until they have flowers.
Here are the tomatillos.
The first lantern is forming on one of the ground cherry plants!
I planted the watermelon and pumpkin yesterday.
The peppers are really taking off. I'm so happy all of the plants survived.
Towards the end of the day as it was getting dark I planted some cucumber and bean seeds. I still have one 4X4" bed to plant and a trellis to put up, after that all of my planting at the plot will be done (for now anyways)!