Saturday, April 28, 2012

First Work Day at the Plot

Last week they plowed the community garden and marked out the new plots. I've been itching to get in there and put up my fence. I went over at 8am and started putting up the fence posts.


The plot is 20' wide by 24' deep. I had planned for 20'X20' so I'm kind of excited about gaining an extra 4 feet!

Sorry to say this is the only picture I took today, but I was EXHAUSTED and forgot to take a picture when I left around 5pm. By the end of the day I had put up the 3 sides and back fence. The fence is 6 foot tall. JR came by and helped with the fence and we also put chicken wire buried 7" deep around the perimeter.
I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

I got to meet a couple of my gardening neighbors and they gave me some helpful tips. There are definitely deer and a pesky groundhog to contend with. There are also many birds and they said last year the birds ate many of the tomatoes. I was told to consider putting netting around the tomatoes!! <seriously??!>

the 4 containers you see in the photo above are full of sifted compost that I got for free from the township. I managed to mark off the beds before I left and add the compost. Tomorrow I plan to finish the front fence and construct the gate frame.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I figured they had a lot of problems with deer and hungry critters from the pics you posted earlier. I guess you will have to come up with some creative critter control!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The groundhog seems to be more of a problem than the deer if your fencing is good. I was told the groundhog ate trough someone's chicken wire last year so I'm reinforcing with some left over heavy gauge fencing in the front and back. I will need to get creative with the birds.

      Delete
  2. Nice! Can't wait to see it all green and growing and wish we had option for a extra plot here too so I could plant all those extra tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to plant 18-20 Romas here for sauce, salsa and canned whole tomatoes. Hopefully the soil is good, I still need to do a test.

      Delete